Has Your Favorite iOS App Gone (RED) for World AIDS Day?
Apple has launched a two-week fundraising campaign to mark World AIDS Day (Dec. 1), designating all proceeds from 25 popular iOS apps directly to (RED)’s Global Fund to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. In addition to the apps, a portion of online and retail sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday – two of the biggest shopping days of the year – will also go to the Global Fund.
Co-founded by U2 front man Bono in 2006, (RED) works with companies like Apple to fight for an AIDS-free generation by creating (PRODUCT)RED merchandise. Since its inception, (PRODUCT)RED has generated more than $275 million for the Global Fund – more than $75 million from Apple alone.
“Apple is a proud supporter of (RED) because we believe the gift of life is the most important gift anyone can give,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook in an issued statement. “For eight years our customers have been helping fight AIDS in Africa by funding life-saving treatments which are having a profoundly positive impact. This year we are launching our biggest fundraising push yet with the participation of Apple’s retail and online stores, and some of the brightest minds in the App Store are lending their talents to the effort as well.”
From Monday, Nov. 24, through Sunday, Dec. 7, the App Store’s Apps for (RED) campaign will feature 25 favorite apps with exclusive content.
About six months ago, Apple met with the top-selling app developers and convinced them to customize their products with (RED) additions for the promotion. For example, Zynga’s CSR Racing fans can buy a red (RED) Mercedes-Benz AMG GT, while Electronic Arts’ FIFA 15 players can compete in a special (RED) tournament.
Additionally, GarageBand is offering a limited-edition In-App Purchase that makes over 300 new drum, guitar, synth and bass loops available and the popular drawing app Paper has also participated with a red application theme and icon.
According to the (RED) website, antiretroviral medicine costs an average of 40 cents a day. If Apple’s (RED) promotion were to raise, say, $10 million, that would provide daily medication for a year to some 70,000 people.
Here is the full list of apps that have gone (RED):
1. Angry Birds players can perfect their bird-flinging with (RED)'s Mighty Feathers and challenge themselves to a bonus golden egg level.
2. Bubble Witch 2 Saga offers new (RED) levels across all 17 episodes of the game. Gold bar currency purchases will be donated to (RED).
3. CSR Racing delivers new in-game thrills with the highly anticipated Mercedes Benz-AMG GT.
4. Clash of Clans warriors can prepare for battle with special edition (RED) gems and display a (RED) badge of honor on the village's town hall.
5. Clear’s users can perfect their organizational skills with a new (RED) theme which appears automatically with all new downloads.
6. Cut the Rope 2 unveils a wide selection of (RED) items including a new red hat, red touch print, red balloons and a red ginger cookie.
7. Despicable Me: Minion Rush reveals a new Lifeguard minion that helps players boost their banana collection skills by 200 percent.
8. DJay 2’s spin tables turn (RED) and offer DJs a special sound pack.
9. FarmVille 2: Country Escape players can "Roll out the RED Carpet" and purchase limited-time items such as the Cozy Cow, St. Bernard and more.
10. FIFA 15 Ultimate Team players can compete in a (RED) Tournament and Team of the Week event. All winners will be awarded football superstar and (RED) Ambassador Rafa Marquez.
11. Frozen Free Fall unveils a magical new (RED) Challenge in the Kingdom of Arendelle, and offers an exclusive combined offer of 1 power-up, 1 snowball and 3 lives.
12. GarageBand users can now purchase an exclusive collection of 300 guitar, bass, synth and drum loops to create even more amazing music.
13. Kim Kardashian: Hollywood aspiring celebrity players can treat themselves to (RED) items including Beats (RED) Solo2 headphones. Kris Jenner, the first family member to join Kim's in-app world, will make her in-game debut on December 1.
14. Head’s Up! competition heats up with an exclusive new deck featuring red words.
15. The Human Body debuts the Immune System feature, educating users on how the body fights pathogens. The accompanying handbook features a new section on HIV/AIDS.
16. Kitchen Stories Cookbook will offer a special-edition holiday recipe pack, featuring dishes from renowned chefs Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, Luke Holden and Michael Lomonaco.
17. Monument Valley offers a whole new chapter of Ida's Journey, marking the final new feature of the game.
18. Over customers have access to a wide selection of (RED) fonts and inspiring artwork, specially created by six artists. Users can share photos with the (RED) brackets overlay to help spread awareness.
19. Paper by Fifty Three enthusiasts can enjoy a new (RED) Essentials Pack including Sketch, Outline, Write, Color and Mixer tools.
20. Puzzle & Dragons players have exclusive access to the new (RED) magic stone.
21. Rayman Fiesta Run introduces a new (RED) edition to their wacky Fiesta world, and players can purchase a pack of three new costumes for Rayman, Globox and Teensy characters.
22. Star Walk 2 users can learn more about Mars with the comprehensive new RED Planet feature.
23. Sims FreePlay features a special community challenge that unlocks various rewards, and players can purchase limited-edition (RED) items such as a swimming pool, party plane and piñata.
24. Threes! turns (RED) with a limited-edition (PRODUCT)RED theme.
25. Toca Boca paints Toca Town (RED)! Kids can discover new (RED) diamonds, sample (RED) ice cream in the app and look for other surprises throughout the game.